Thursday, April 23, 2009

*. I'm Teaching Seminary!!! .*

I found out yesterday (April 22) that I am going to teach seminary next year. This comes after taking the REL 370 class where a handful of students were asked to come back and take the next class REL 471. Everybody in the REL 471 class was an amazing teacher who was trained and prepared to teach the gospel to the youth. We were informed that only 4 out of the 20 students (in REL 471) would be invited and given a spot to student teach next year. The statistics were against me. In fact, we were also told the because of the churches hiring freeze, very few teachers would actually be hired to teach full time. There's not a lot of turn-over in seminary teaching, so the only reasons why spots would open up are if a teacher retired (fat chance in this economy), if a teacher got sick and wasn't able to teach, or with the opening of new schools. I had prepared myself to accept the Lord's will whatever it may be and was very surprised when I got the call inviting me to accept a position at UCAS - Utah County Academy of Sciences. This is not a full time position, mind you, and I only have a job for the fall semester. After that (and from my understanding), I will be either invited to teach for another semester or thanked for my participation and asked to move on with my life. After two semesters of teaching, I will be offered a full-time teaching position or again, thanked and asked to move on. The statistics are still against me but I've come to the realization (or the faith) that if the Lord wants me to be a seminary teacher then I will be. If not, then He has something for me to learn in the next few months. All I know for sure is that the Lord is opening a door for me and I am going to walk through it. I'm excited for this new adventure. I would love to spend the rest of my life teaching the youth the gospel. It would be a dream come true.

2 comments:

  1. What a great way to look at it. You will be an amazing teacher. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are going to be a great seminary teacher, I love you!-Katie :)

    ReplyDelete