Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Voice: the faculty or power of expressing opinion or choice.

I've recently been thinking about my voice. Not by audible voice that comes from a "a little box inside my throat," but my opinions, beliefs and thoughts. Is it wrong to have an opinion about a subject or controversy that doesn't involve me in the least? Should I be actively voicing my concerns and opinions about the government and the direction in which they are headed to my colleagues ? Should I be publishing my religious expectations and beliefs on facebook? Should I argue about the economy and hard times on my blog? It is my right. Is it my duty?

The first amendment to the constitution states, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press..." and they haven't (for which I am grateful), but it seems to me that more and more people are using their online activities such as facebook, twitter, and blogger to shout their opinions and beliefs louder than their network. Far be it from me to take away anyone's rights, especially the first amendment, but do my friends and family want to see fun and cute pictures of me and the wife or would they rather debate whether Mitt Romney is campaigning for 2012 or if the recession is coming to an end? Would you rather hear about our recent trip to the Logan Temple or hear my opinion about BYU's newspaper's (The Daily Universe) flawed caption that accidently read "The Twelve Apostates" instead of "The Twelve Apostles" under a picture of the brethren? Would my (very small) audience rather see pictures from my intramural football game or highlights from the latest headline crashing sporting event from the NCAA and NFL? Should my voice be about me or about my opinions?

Well...I guess that depends on what you want to hear.

3 comments:

  1. I, for one, would love to read about it all! I love hearing other people's opinions on things, especially politics (as of recently)! I also like to hear and see about what you're up to and you consider fun, so I say post about it all! Let your blog just represent you, both your opinions and your updates.

    By the way, yes that was my main blog and feel free to follow it. Katie, you were in my seminary class??? Who was the teacher? I didn't realize you went to SFHS. Did you two know each other? Off to find my yearbook! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think blogs can be a place for either one, although mixing the two can be a little strange. Some people I know have a blog about their family and what's going on in their lives and another one for their opinions and views on things. No one has to read any blog they don't want to...

    ReplyDelete